Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Insomnia

I have had issues sleeping off and on for the last 22 years. About 12 years ago I was prescribed Elavil for it. Then about 4 years later I had a bad reaction to that and another medication I was on and then was prescribed Seroquel (off label use) for my insomnia. Which I have been taking off and on since then. Seroquel has been making the news in the past years because of lawsuits. It is a rather nasty drug and I have definitely been paying the price for taking it. Unfortunately, I do not sleep at all without it. I have tried pretty much everything on the market and nothing works. Some may give me 5 to 10 minutes at a time of sleep but anyone knows that is not enough.

I am at my wits end currently and do not want to take this medicine anymore. But 5 to 10 minutes here and there with some other medicine won't cut it. It will only end me up in the hospital extremely sick (this has already happened before when I stopped taking it because of lack of health insurance). I already have the following from taking the Seroquel :

blurred vision
neuropathy in hands and feet
high cholestrol
dizziness
brain fog
and the list goes on.

But if I stop taking it without finding something else then I will be in the hospital again and that is not an option since I have a toddler and no one to help care for him.

This is where you all come in. Any recommendations? I have tried just about every prescription, over the counter and herbal remedy I can think of. Are you maybe a P.R. for a company who makes/sells a sleep aid? I would love to try something that may help me get some sleep and make me able to stop taking Seroquel.

I currently do not have access to health insurance at the moment so going to the doctor is not an option.

Thanks!!

No comments: