Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stockpiling Etiquette

Something I have been noticing a lot online on various blogs and forums is the lack of etiquette that some have with stockpiling. I believe there is a socially acceptable way of doing it and an unacceptable way. I do not mean to offend any of my readers this is just a way to make it easier and more efficient for all.


First- There really never is a need to buy say 20 of some item. I mean really do you absolutely have to have 20 tubes of that toothpaste that is on sale? How long is it going to take you to use them all up? Not too mention that generally if you wait another month a similar item will have just as good a deal with it.


Second - You really should not if all possible clear the shelf (especially in one trip). This is not fair to others who actually need that item that moment or someone else who just wants one.

Thirdly - Cashiers will get irritated if you make them do a zillion separate transactions just so you get all of your RR's etc. This in the long run could possibly make RR's obsolete. Which none of us want. Make separate trips.

And lastly - If you have absolutely no use for that item don't buy it just to make money off it. I mean do you really need 30 meters just so you can get the RR's?


Tips on being a good stockpiler:

Go to various stores and try not to just frequent one. Make separate trips instead of having to do more than one transaction at a time (stop on your way home from work, on your way to pick up the kids etc so you don't waste gas nor time).

I personally have 2 Walgreens and 2 CVS stores on my way home from work and have 2 each of them near my home. So I go back in forth between the various ones.

I generally never buy more than 2 of an item at a time (unless it is B1G1F).My stockpile I have been working on for a couple years. Pretty much every month I buy 2 toothpastes and deodorants from a Walgreens and CVS which obviously I won't use up in a month. The reason I have probably a year's worth of certain items is that I normally pick up things when they are on clearance and have been doing so for a couple years. So I didn't go out and buy all this stuff in a week's or even a month's time.

No comments: